Tuesday, November 18, 2008


So, I'm going about my day today with the usual cleaning and calling to bug my husband at work and chilling with A2 when my phone rings and it's my mom telling me that they are going to be moving my Daddy from the hospital he is in right now to another one and that they will probably schedule him for open heart surgery tomorrow or the next day.

Hold on a sec while I FREAK.THE.HELL.OUT!!

I guess in a way it was to be expected because he told me last week that he had been going back to his doctor for tests because he was feeling short of breath whenever he did anything with his upper body. He did great on the treadmill test and said it was mostly the upper that was bothering him.

Back a few years ago they told him that surgery was inevitable but for the time being they would just monitor him and give him medication. I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I was really hoping this day would never come. I mean come on every girl thinks her daddy is Superman and nothing can or will ever happen to them. At least I do. My daddy isn't very old at all unless you consider 51 old. He had me when he was just a pup. I'll be 34 two weeks from today.

I got off the phone with her and called my husband. He tried to relate a story about someone else's same situation but whenever something like that is going on I don't care to hear shit like that. I cut him off and told him that I was going to pack my bag and go home. It was 1:30 and if I had left by 2 I could have made it there somewhere around 10 p.m. I.HATE.HATE.HATE.BEING.THIS.FAR.FROM.HOME!!! I was going to take A2 with me and leave A1 here so that he and the man could continue their routines as normal.

I packed a giant suitcase for me and A2 and just as I was about to start loading them into the car she called back. He would not be going today over to the other hospital but they were going to allow him to go home and they would have to come back Friday to see the doctor again and at that point they would schedule his surgery.

Deep breath.

At least now it doesn't seem as dire and I'm not as panicked as I was before. I called my husband back and told him the updated status and decided to repack my bags and leave here Thursday morning with A2 to be able to go with him to the doctor on Friday just in case they decide to do anything then. If they don't then I'll just hang out with them for a little longer than planned since we were going to be going to their house next Wednesday anyway for the holiday.

As I was unpacking to repack I discovered that I had not packed any socks. My black shoes were shoved into my toiletries bag and that all of my hair care items were left neatly in the drawer in the bathroom. I had to remove a pair of Capri's and a tank top because something tells me the weather won't support that outfit this time of year.

I also redid A2's bag. He now has t-shirts to wear up under the hoodies I packed for him and he has enough diapers to last him for more than a day. I've put all of our stuff in the car. The only thing out right now are my toiletries - minus the shoes - and A2's travel snacks. I'm ready for Thursday morning or at least as ready as I can be. It's going to be a very long very emotional very stressful ride out there but I'm going to be there no matter what.

I don't know what to expect. All I can do is pray that the medical team performs the surgery to the best of their ability and that my daddy is as strong as I know he is and comes out of this even stronger than ever. He has to he's my hero.


mumma boo said...

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way, DeeDee. Safe travels and best of luck & good health to your dad.

DeeDee said...

Thanks. You have no idea how much that means!

Heather said...

Oh I'm sorry to hear about your daddy. I actually have 3 inlaws who have had to have open heart surgery and they all felt much better after having the surgery (once they healed of course, no surgical incision feels great) because you don't realize how much blocked arteries are affecting your overall health and well being. He is only 51, but having the surgery is going to prolong his life, so it's really a good thing. I think he'll also benefit from the moral support of having you there. I know you are going to worry, so just go see your daddy and be careful driving. Good luck.

Amber said...

I hope everything goes okay, and that you have him around for a good long time!

Drive safe and I'll be thinking of you!

Jo said...

Thinking of you, and lots of good health vibes to your dad - he is in good hands :-)

Miss Grace said...

I hope it works it goes well!

Aunt Becky said...

Sending good vibes and light your way and I'm saying a prayer for your dad that all goes well.