Thursday, June 14, 2007

Panama City Beach Day: 2-4

Ok, so I didn't get around to blogging every day of vacation. Did you really expect anything different? It's day 4 and we are actually on the road on the way back home as I type. Check out was at 10 this morning and since we had so much stuff to cram back into our cars and a long, long drive ahead of us we just decided to get up and go this morning.

I did manage to make it to the beach this morning though to lay out for about 40 minutes or so. A1, Nephew, and A2 were all still snoozing at around 8:30 this morning so hubby and I just went and laid on the lounge chairs out on the beach. It felt pretty amazing out there this morning. The sun wasn't too hot yet and we had a breeze blowing over us the whole time. That was the only time we had to ourselves the whole vacation.

Tuesday we all got up and hit the beach early. A1 was more than a little anxious to get out in the ocean so we suited up and played out there for about an hour before we went to the pool for a little while. We were all starving by that time and went inside to make ourselves somewhat presentable and then went to eat at Arby's.

Since we figured the boys wouldn't like having to stop in the middle of the day Wednesday so we went to the grocery store after we ate lunch. Plus nobody thought to pack a football or anything like that so we bought one for them to play with in the pool and on the beach.

Went back to the room and the boys all played X-box for a little while and then we all went back down to the beach. A2 LOVED the ocean. The waves made him squeal and he looked so cute out there in his little life jacket. He didn't want anyone to hold him at all except for his Daddy.

Sometime around 2 or 3 in the afternoon a storm blew up and everyone had to leave the pools and beach. We went up to the balcony and watched as people's stuff blew all around on the beach and out in the ocean. Apparently it was the thing to do because we could hear people all around us cheering whenever a canopy or umbrella would blow over. There were some asshead kids that ran out there and starting looting people's floats and beach balls and stuff.

Thankfully the storm didn't last long and after everything cleared up we went back out. It all worked out because A2 napped through the whole storm.

Tuesday night we ordered pizza and ate in our room. The guys played X-box some more, sister-in-law played on her computer and A2 and I laid in our cushy bed watching Spongebob and Seinfeld. He on the television and I on the computer. We actually dozed off at around 9:30 for a little while but that didn't last long because the others were so loud. I went down to the lobby and got a DVD (Lucky Number Sleven) out of the machine down there but we never got around to watching it. I thought it was pretty neat that you could go down to the lobby and get a DVD like that. It was set up sort of like a vending machine. You swiped your card and it told you on the screen what was available, you picked what you wanted and then got a CD case from the side of the machine and them your movie would pop out of a slot on the front. When you returned it you could either stick it back into the machine or just hand it to the front desk clerk.

Let's see, Wednesday morning we got up and the sister-in-law cooked us some breakfast and then we all hit the beach again. A1 and Nephew were horse playing the whole time and A2 just played around in the water. We didn't stay out there very long since the water was very very calm and the big boys couldn't really ride their boogie boards and A2 wasn't happy he couldn't jump the waves with his daddy. We went over to the pool for a little bit and they played with the balls and just splashed around for a little while. We went back up to the room, ate some sandwiches, got ready and left for downtown.

There was a Titanic exhibit at the Visual Arts Center and we all decided it would be cool to go in there and see what it was all about. Brother-in-Law cracked me up when we were paying the girl our admission fee. It ended up being about $65 for all of us to go in and he said, "We just want to look at it, we aren't wanting to ride on it." The little girl at the counter didn't really know what to say to that. I bout peed my pants laughing at him. Guess you had to be there.

It was very interesting to look around in there. They had a lot of stuff in there that had been recovered from the wreckage. A1 and I went a little slower behind everybody else so we could take our time and really read everything. He gets a kick out of that sort of thing. I kept hearing him saying, "woah" and "oh, my gosh" as he was looking at the different things behind glass. I love that he's interested in things like that. He will remember every bit of it too.

"Bye, Bye Florida" Sorry bout that, we just crossed over into Alabama as I type.

Anyway, there was come clothes in there, some dishes, some money, tools, rivets, light fixtures, jewelery, calling cards, coal and a lot of other stuff. On the walls they told the story of the building of the ship, what the passengers did, and even a little back story on some of the people that were on board.

The other cool part about the whole thing was that when we first walked in the girl handed each one of us a "boarding pass" and it gave the story of one passenger. It told their name, where they were going, what they did, who they were travelling with and whether or not they were 1st, 2nd, or 3rd class passengers. The purpose of the boarding pass was to see whether or not you survived or not at the end. They had three large plaques that had the names of all the survivors on top and all of the ones who died on the bottom. We all survived except for Nephew and Hubby.

After we went through all of that we went back to the room and hit the beach again. The waves had picked back up a little and we had some fun out there. A2 was getting a little restless though so we took him up to the beach and played in the sand. He actually enjoyed being in it and had fun knocking down the mounds of sand that we would build up for him with his truck. Hubby dug a huge hole in the sand and stood him up in it so I could take his picture. After that we went to the pool for a little while before we all got ready to go eat.

Last night we all just got our stuff ready to pack up so we could make our early checkout this morning. We ate at a place in the middle of nowhere called Boondocks and it was actually pretty good. I had the catfish. On the way back to the room we did some t-shirt shopping. Funny thing though, the whole time we were down here nobody bought one single souvenir except for me. I had A2 a t-shirt airbrushed with his name across the top with Spongebob in the center and Panama City Beach across the bottom. A1 didn't want one. He's "too cool" for that sort of thing I guess.

Well, that's about it in a nutshell. We all had a fun time. I would have liked to spend a little more "down" time on the beach but it was still fun.

We are currently on the hunt for a Harley Davidson shop so I can bring back shirts for the parentals. Too bad they don't have one in Panama City. Something about all the other bike shops around didn't want to compete with it or something stupid like that. We're in Dothan now and I didn't see anything I liked, plus who in the hell knows where Dothan, AL is? I hope we can make it up to Montgomery or Birmingham before they close so I can snag a couple.

Got to stop playing on computer now. Getting.Car.Sick.Now. Too much Salt Water Taffy or possibly it's my husbands crappy driving.

P.S. No time to edit - forgive grammar or spelling mistakes!